Sunday, October 14, 2012

Conflict

When asked to recall a time in your life when you suppressed or censored feelings in you life a period in my life comes to mind.  I can remember early on in my relationship with my wife prior to being married.  There would be many of times when I would let her win an argument because I was worried that if I continued to argue things might get said by either party which could result in the ending of our relationship.  This would usually result in an apology toward me after the conflict which I would assume because I appeared to be the pacifist.  I never would look the gift horse in the mouth when it came to the apologies though.  After our relationship grew and we were later married I knew that we would never separate based solely on a verbal argument.  I became less passive and more direct with my arguments.  In most cases the argument would end in a stalemate with a reconciliation afterwards when cooler heads prevailed.  Both sides would see there wrongs and a peaceful adult conversation could take place with a mutual consensus occurring afterwards.  I'd like to believe that a relationship that lacks a little chaos now and again is susceptible to fracture because of a lack of communication.  The truth should never be left out of an argument however hurtful things should be.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job Ben! If you are in a relationship where there is NO conflict, then, you are not in a open and honest relationship. Perhaps, without some conflict, there is no relationship.

    Nice posting!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete